But those days are long gone: this season, the attention-grabbing patterns have hit the runways in full force. So in this sea of wild designs, which key pieces should you choose to complete your look?
1. Wild footwear. Let your feet take a walk on the wild side, whether in ballet flats or over-the-knee boots. Penny Loves Kenny makes a killer Tall Buckle Boot that you can wear with either a short black sweater dress, or a pair of your favorite skinnies.
2. The animal-print cardigan. You’ll want to layer it over a simple black camisole and dark pants. It will be the spotlight piece in your outfit, so no need for busy accessories. Get CYRUS’s leopard-print variation with a removable faux-fur collar. Meow.
3. The snakeskin belt. A perfect complement to a crisp, white button-down and a pair of distressed denims. Leather Island makes a 100% leather design that is edgy enough to get noticed, but subtle enough to be elegant.
4. Jewelry accents. Sometimes, all you need is a hint of wildness in your look. Kenneth Jay Lane makes a variety of eye-catching bangles that will serve this purpose perfectly. A favorite: the bangle in orange and black.
5. Sexy lingerie. Unleash your inner vixen and dare to wear pelt-like motifs that emulate the most stylish contenders in the animal kingdom. On sale now: an Arielle zebra-print nightgown in gold and black.
Are you bold enough to rock the jungle fever trend? If so, what’s your signature piece?