Ed Hardy: bedazzled or be gone?

Ed Hardy. Two of the most controversial words in today’s fashion hemisphere.

As far as we can tell, there are currently two Hardy schools of thought:

1. Haters. These people wince at the mere mention of the name—perhaps, one might presume, because it evokes the likes of the entire cast of “Jersey Shore” draped head-to-toe in bedazzled sweat suits. Images of orange spray tans and gelled hair come to mind. Trucker hats. Skulls and tigers on steering wheel covers, coffee mugs, pet clothing… The list goes on. And on. (And on.)

2. Lovers. Life is easier for an Ed Hardy fan: they fully embrace the Christian Audigier takeover. They sport the Love Kills Slowly slogan with pride. They’re bold enough to break the rules of fashion conduct and wear multiple EH items at a time. They own the apparel, the accessories, the cell phone and laptop cases, the perfume—all the way to the bronzer. They’re living proof that there’s no shortage of Hardy to go around in this world.

Now whether you love or hate the famed brand, you have to admit: they’re doing something right. Aside from converting huge celebs like David Beckham and Madonna, they’ve managed to captivate both the tattooed rock ‘n’ roll/hip hop crew as well as girly girls who live for blinged out, attention-grabbing gear.

Fun Ed Hardy trivia: The name Hardy comes from the legendary tattoo artist Don Ed Hardy. Fashion designer and entrepreneur Christian Audigier and Mr. Hardy teamed up to bring you the powerhouse brand you love (or loathe) today.

If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em… or better yet, buy ‘em.

Shop Ed Hardy jewelry February 1, 2011 and Ed Hardy intimates February 2, 2011

This entry was posted in Editor's Picks, Tips & Trends. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Ed Hardy: bedazzled or be gone?

1. Erin says:

Agreed. Let Ed Hardy stay on Jersey Shore where it belongs.

2. sage says:

Hate. not really for any of the reasons mentioned in the post… i just can’t believe there is anyone left who is not sick to death of this brand. Ed Hardy is the undead ghoul of designer labels.

I did like some of the stuff at first, for like five minutes. Got nothing against skulls, personally.

3. Sylv says:

Ed Hardy = Fail. Jon from Jon & Kate plus eight , and the entire cast of Jersey Shore wears his stuff… Mega Fail! The clothes look tacky and cheap.

4. Pingback: Tweets that mention Ed Hardy: Bedazzled or be gone? | Beyond the Rack Blog -- Topsy.com

5. Laurianne says:

I’d never buy Ed Hardy, it would be like selling my soul to the devil. The patterns are way too busy, the clothes are skanky and frankly, the people who wear it unknowingly are the butt of so many douchebag jokes… I was surprised to see so much Ed Hardy stuff on your website, because it’s so less prestigious than most of the other designer brands you sell. Lose it!

6. Melanie says:

I absolutely despise Ed Hardy clothing and accessories. I find them to be so tacky and busy, and everything looks like it has been thrown up on. Speaking as a female, why would I ever want to wear something with flames and skulls on it? I prefer to dress feminine, which certainly doesn’t always have to be heels and a dress, but there is no way I’d ever include skulls or anything Ed Hardy in my wardrobe. For those who like it, more power to you, we all have our own taste.

7. Pamlin says:

Ugh. Let it go! I’m SO tired of seeing Ed Hardy on BTR. It’s like the ugly things at TJ Maxx that never sell, but just keep lingering on and annoying you in your search for the good pieces.

8. pnmapiye says:

Really need a very nice Ed Hardy dress that’s unique n wow, plz send me a few so I can decide or the best websites to look at.
    Thank you.